POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma? : Re: Gamma? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:26:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma?
From: Warp
Date: 29 Oct 2008 13:47:41
Message: <4908a1bd@news.povray.org>
Sven Geier <.sven.at.sgeier.dot.net.nospamplease> wrote:
> I can state confidently that the gamma that is actually put into my renders is
> way too high -- every image I create is very bright with very little contrast.

  This is actually something I would like to know as well. As far as
I remember all POV-Ray 3.7 betas have used by default a much brighter gamma
than POV-Ray 3.6 uses by default, and nowhere have I seen an explanation
for this. This means that all scenes will render very differently in 3.7
than they do in 3.6, unless you specifically go and specify an assumed_gamma
when rendering with 3.7.

  Why was the default gamma changed so drastically in 3.7 compared to 3.6?
Why can't the default gamma be the same in both? Having a drastically
different default is only going to cause problems, as scenes will render
very differently.

--
                                                          - Warp