POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Lights in an object : Re: Lights in an object Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:24:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lights in an object
From: Alain
Date: 28 Oct 2008 21:46:11
Message: <4907c063$1@news.povray.org>
Dave VanHorn nous illumina en ce 2008-10-28 10:44 -->
> "Bob Hughes" <omniverse charter net> wrote:
>> "Dave VanHorn" <mic### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
>>> The cylinder object gives me a nice looking fire, (complicated)
>>> and the chalice object is fine, but the light sources which should be up
>>> in the
>>> fire object, don't seem to get OUT.
>>
>> Hmmmm. You don't show what your Flame is made of, such as filtered pigment
>> or media, but I'm not sure why you aren't seeing any light from the fire. I
>> ran a render of what you are trying using my own fire material and other
>> than no_shadow preventing shadowing from the fire cylinder I can see the
>> light source.
>
> It's a complicated thing, but it's not causing the lights not to get out.
>

>> Your area_light isn't what I've ever used or recall seeing used, having no
>> perpendicular axis to make the grid of lights. And yet that doesn't seem to
>> be the actual problem you are getting there, if mine rendered the same here.
>
> The docs say you can make it a linear light by doing X1 in one axis.
If you make a linear area_light, then you can't use orient. Your's have 2
parallel axis.
The first two value are the extent of the area_light, the next two are the
number of elements along each axis.
Apparently, you want it to be vertical, long and thin. So:
<0.1,0,0><0,2,0> for the dimentions and
3,33 for the elements
then add "jitter" to soften the shadow even more.
With adaptive, 9, 17, 33, 65,... are effecient values. 8 is not an effecient value.

--
Alain
   I knew a girl so ugly, they use her in prisons to cure sex Offenders.