POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Processor speed : Re: Processor speed Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:21:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Processor speed
From: Warp
Date: 28 Oct 2008 19:27:34
Message: <49079fe6@news.povray.org>
> Well, no. You can use large arrays and access them in a specific order
> in an attempt to improve cache coherancy. But beyond that, in a GC
> language where the runtime randomly allocates and rearranges data in RAM
> from time to time, you really have very little control.

  If the GC'd language doesn't reorder elements in memory to be more
cache-friendly, that can have a rather large penalty in speed.

  The speed difference between cache-friendly and cache-unfriendly code
can be surprisingly large, even if both do the exact same thing otherwise.
We are talking about something of an order of magnitude slower at worst.
Cache misses are *very* expensive.

--
                                                          - Warp