POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The misery of video editing : Re: The misery of video editing Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:20:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The misery of video editing
From: Invisible
Date: 28 Oct 2008 09:10:55
Message: <49070f5f$1@news.povray.org>
Gail wrote:

> That's not bad. Mine wore out in about a year. I was wiping and
> re-burning once a week though

Actually, I say I "purchased" it... It was actually the disk that came
free with the CD burner drive. (This was back in the days when even a
CD-ROM drive was several hundred £££ due to the newness of it all.)

Having said that, I have never seen any rewritable optical disk wear
out. I've seen plenty of brand new disks that were not recognised by the
drive, or wouldn't burn, or failed burning part way through. (This used
to be extremely common in the early days - it seems to be quite rare
now.) But I've never seen a disk that used to work eventually stop working.

Actually, wait... I've seen CD-Rs that stopped being readable a few
years after they were burned. Invariably *cheap* CD-Rs, mind you. I
still have disks I burned in 1996 that read fine...