POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Stability : Re: Stability Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:19:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stability
From: andrel
Date: 27 Oct 2008 16:50:58
Message: <49062A05.30902@hotmail.com>
On 27-Oct-08 16:30, Invisible wrote:
>>> So, seriously, does the entire world really fall apart in a few weeks
>>> just because one nobody company goes bust? Or is there something
>>> bigger going on here?
>>
>> A couple big banks in the US crumbled. Apparently they're taking the
>> rest of the world with them.
>
> That makes significantly more sense...
>
> (Random: Is the USA actually *the* richest nation on the face of the
> Earth? Or is there somebody richer?)

It is rich only for a certain value of rich. If you look at the curve of
the debt of the government it has been steadily rising fast (ok, it
leveled a bit of at the end of the clinton era). What this government
did is use taxpayers money (that they didn't have) to buy a lot of goods
from american companies at possibly slightly inflated prices (mostly war
and 'terrorism' related. e.g cruise missiles, blackwater). So a group of
wealthy americans (with the right friends) got much richer indeed. It is
effectively a way to let a lot of people pay a bit (in taxes) and give
it to a few. There were sound economic reasons for that, but I can't
remember which. The Bush administration will continue adding to this
shift in money by spending and allocating lots of more money soon a) to
increase the change of mccain winning and b) if he looses to prevent the
next government to be able to keep their promises. Or perhaps they did
that already.

So, some people in the country are rich. You might say that the country
as a whole is rich too (in goods at least, but also in debts). The
government OTOH is more or less bankrupt, except that that can not
happen because the dollar is the world currency.

See indeed that googledoc thing for some explanation on how the rest of
the world got involves. Add to that that nobody knows who owns the good
stuff and who owns the rubbish. Hence Bank A will not lend to Bank B,
because it is not sure if Bank B actually can pay the loan back.
Governments around the worlds are now backing the banks, saying that if
Bank B should turn out to own the rubbish, they will pay back the loan.

BTW in case you were wondering, I don't know how much of this is true
and how much is propaganda ;) Read a book about this crisis in 50 years
time (if you are still alive), maybe that will be more objective.
Possibly not, that depends a bit on who will be winning.