POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The misery of video editing : Re: The misery of video editing Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:23:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The misery of video editing
From: Invisible
Date: 27 Oct 2008 11:26:03
Message: <4905dd8b@news.povray.org>
>> Take a stroll to this site
>>
>> http://www.videohelp.com/
>
> I'll do that...

Much confusion ensures...

Between ffmpeg, mencoder, libavcodec, ffdshow and the myriad of
frontends available, I'm left wondering which way is up. So many bits of
software, all seperate, yet all interrelated somehow. Really confusing!

Mind you, trying to figure out video codecs is no easier. At least
Xiph.org gives their codecs *names*. Others seem to think it's
acceptable to just assign a code number to each standard they issue. The
result is a seemingly never-ending stream of codes, symbols and TLAs
that seems almost indecipherable.

Reading Wikipedia we find that MPEG-4 "is just a container format", but
at the same time "DivX and XviD are different implementations of the
MPEG-4 codec". And as if that wasn't enough, it seems that DivX and XviD
are supposedly different, and yet supposedly they're also the same.

I'm *so* glad I don't need to actually comprehend this stuff... After
all, I'm only trying to edit a DVD, so I only need to worry about MPEG2.

The site did point out something interesting though: Apparently there's
an altered version of VirtualDub that supposedly comprehends MPEG2. If I
can persuade it to transcode the stuff to some uncompressed format then
I'll be able to edit it. I can then recompress it before uploading.
(Ordinarily I'd try to avoid recompressing, but since the video data is
pretty suboptimal to begin with... how bad can it be?)