POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : request for pigment help : Re: request for pigment help Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:18:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: request for pigment help
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 26 Oct 2008 20:08:00
Message: <49050660$1@news.povray.org>
"Chris B" <nom### [at] nomailcom> wrote in message

>>> I want to apply a color map to a torus so that the maps are applied as
>>> wedges
>>> when viewing a cross-section of the torus.
>>> (I think this would be radially, but I am unsure.)
>
> To give you a pattern like a pie chart on the twin circular sections
> through the torus, the only way I can think of is to build it up using
> cone objects for textures rather than a color map. (I tried experimenting
> with toroidal warp of a gradient and a radial texture, but failed to get
> anything that mapped a color map in that way).

Interesting solution, if this is the thing being asked for.
Yeah, when I saw this message post I was going to try radial, then warp it,
just to see if it could be done the way I figured would work right and it
only gets nearly there:

// BEGIN wedges in torus cutaway
camera {
 location -3*z
 look_at 0
 rotate <30,0,0>
}

light_source {
 -99*z,
 1
 rotate <60,45,0>
}

difference {
 torus {
  1,0.5
 }
 plane {
  x,0
  rotate -90*y
 }
 texture {
  pigment {
   radial frequency 40
   color_map {
    [0.5 rgb 0.1]
    [0.5 rgb 0.9]
   }
   rotate 90*z
   warp {
    toroidal orientation y dist_exp 1 major_radius 1
   }
  } // pigment
 }
}
// END

For reasons unknown to me the pattern doesn't have the symmetry I expected.
Maybe somebody out there understands why not...?

Bob H.