POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data technicalities : Re: Data technicalities Server Time
9 Oct 2024 20:53:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data technicalities
From: Darren New
Date: 26 Oct 2008 14:58:20
Message: <4904bdcc$1@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias wrote:
> Well, if I'd just exchange one HD with the bigger one, my Raid
> controller would exclaim that the Raid broke and would offer me to
> mirror the functional (small) HD onto the new, bigger and empty one.
> That's what Raid 1 is supposed to do.

Sure, I understand. I thought you'd wanted to actually have a bigger
file system when you were done, tho, rather than just a new empty partition.

> I'll look into that tomorrow as well, got to get to work now. But a
> server-side thingy is out of the question, my dad doesn't want to need
> the internet for that.

OK. Check out synctoy. It works really nicely. I use it for keeping the
backup of my vacation photos and music library synced between backup
disks, my desktop, and my media server.

> Theft is a thing I should keep in mind, thanks for pointing that out.

Yeah. Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to be easy to keep
everything encrypted with the native encryption stuff if you have
different logins at work and at home. At least in XP, you can't set a
folder to automatically encrypt for someone else when you create a file.
(I.e., you manually have to add the second key to every file one at a
time - rather stupidly suckful.)  Unless perhaps he puts an escrow key
on and encrypts everything to the escrow key, and he copies that key to
all his machines. I don't know if you can put the key from one user as
the primary key for another user, so everyone is using the same key. If
so, problem solved once it's set up. Just encrypt the whole drive.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)