POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data technicalities : Re: Data technicalities Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:20:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data technicalities
From: Darren New
Date: 26 Oct 2008 13:19:56
Message: <4904a6bc$1@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias wrote:
> Anybody have a clue if that's going to work? I'd
> rather not reinstall my entire PC.

The way I moved to a larger disk was to use DriveXML (a free
backup/restore/mirror program) to copy the small drive onto the larger
drive, then swapped out the small drive for the second big drive and
mirrored it back again.

If you're doing RAID, you'd use the RAID for that second step, of course.

> My ideal would be something he'd install on any computer he'd
> need, and then just plug the external HD in, it'll synchronise the
> computer with the HD, and when he leaves the PC, he'll just synchronise
> again and take the HD along.

Assuming you're talking Windows again...

Google for "synctoy powertools."  Alternately, that's what the
"briefcase" icon is supposed to do for you, but I never got it to work
right. Maybe I just didn't understand it. The "briefcase" would be your HD.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc162483.aspx
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C26EFA36-98E0-4EE9-A7C5-98D0592D8C52&displaylang=en

Alternately, google for jungledisk. This lets you put your encrypted
files up on Amazon's servers, and keeps them synchronized automatically
in the background. You could edit them right in that virtual drive, and
when you save it, it pushes them up in the background.  I'm pretty sure
it works to map the same files to multiple machines, but you'd want to
double-check that first. Then you're not even lugging around a HD.

Have you considered what happens to your data if you lose the HD? Is
there anything on there of enough value that you're screwed if it gets
stolen?  A NOC list, perhaps?

HTH.
--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)