POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 : Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 Server Time
10 Oct 2024 10:24:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40
From: Darren New
Date: 26 Oct 2008 12:39:32
Message: <49049d44$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> My recollection was that Compaq was first with the reverse-engineering,
> but Wikipedia conflicts with what I recall as well.  It may well have
> been Phoenix.

I think Compaq bought the reverse-engineered BIOS from Pheonix. That's
my memory, at least.

> I used to sell hardware (Amigas were the main machines, but we had some
> PC hardware that was sold).  The commoditization of PC hardware lowered
> the entry level price to where it was affordable for normal people.

Oh, you're talking about selling end units. I was talking about selling
it OEM. Kind of hard to make a good profit on commodity manufacturing,
is what I meant.

> That could be it - a combination of what you remember and what I remember
> is probably closer to reality. :-)

Yeah. I'm pretty sure my first clone was indeed a Compaq, at least. But
I remember the lawsuits about Phoenix, too.

> I know (from reading that Wikipedia article) that Phoenix was concerned
> about it - but I don't recall IBM suing over it.  But I didn't follow the
> legal issues then the way I do now, either.

They did, or at least went far enough into the discovery process to
figure out they'd lose. I actually studied that one in one of my
graduate classes.  IANAL.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)