POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 : Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 Server Time
10 Oct 2024 10:23:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 25 Oct 2008 23:38:15
Message: <4903e627@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
>> If GRUB's boot sector actually loaded the boot sector off the active
>> partition, just like ever other boot sector written in the history of
>> hard drives on IBM computers and their clones, you could remotely switch
>> back and forth by using the same procedure that's worked since day 0 on
>> the IBM AT. Sadly, the Linux developers want to be the only OS that can
>> be booted, so they didn't bother to follow the standard. ;-)
>
> I had thought GRUB on my system here was set up with the MBR, but I was
> in fact mistaken - it's in the root partition instead.
>
> Jim

Its actually a bit complicated. Windows will, if it can't find, or finds
a damaged Boot.ini simply boot the active partition, otherwise it acts
like Grub, and basically gives a menu, which can "default" to a specific
partition. As I understand it, there is no direct way, short of hand
editing, to tell it which one you want "active" as the default, so you
**need** the "boot from the active partition" behavior. lol GRUB.. Well,
either it or LILO, or maybe both, can be set to be either in the MBR or
in the root. I think, either way, they will look at the root to try to
find the menu options to display. Anyone try to delete the menu and see
what happens? It might default to booting the "active" if it can't find
the menu. So, the only real difference would be the redirect to the
linux partition, in the case where its installed there, instead of in
the MBR, presuming it does boot the active in such a case. Its kind of a
toss up then if you think the "Windows" MBR or the Linux MBR behavior
makes more sense.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {