POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 : Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 Server Time
10 Oct 2024 08:21:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 24 Oct 2008 16:17:09
Message: <49022d45$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Um, no. They behave exactly the opposite. MS's boot sector will boot
> whatever partition is marked "active".  Remember that MS has been making
> multiple OSes for a long time. You've always been able to multi-boot off
> MS operating systems.

Umm. Wait.. Being "allowed" to pick, if I choose to, which OS to boot,
without having to fiddle with "active" flags, is a bad thing? I must
admit to being a tad confused here. It sounds like you are suggesting a
high tech version of the goofy, "I installed a switch, so that before I
turn the machine on, I can pick if I want the Windows or the Linux HDD
to be the master!". First thing I thought when I saw it was, "OK, so..
How do I set this up so that it uses an electronic switch, so that I can
simply toggle the switch, while the machine is still running, and have
it flip the drives during the reboot, when the machine shuts down
temporarily, before restarting?" The last thing on my mind was, "How do
I make it harder to flip the switch.", which is what having to directly
specify "which" partition is active, while, possibly, the wrong OS
booted in the first place, from a cold start, does to the boot sequence.

I.e., instead of waiting 5 seconds for Grub/Lilo to time out and
autoboot the default, I have to boot all the way into what ever OS is
currently "active" before I can tell it I *really* wanted to boot into
the other one. WTF?

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {