POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Reaction/diffusion : Re: Reaction/diffusion Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:20:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reaction/diffusion
From: Invisible
Date: 24 Oct 2008 09:43:11
Message: <4901d0ef$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> I thought you were trying to simulate an organ pipe.

You know me - if there's a way to use mathematics to produce trippy
visuals, it must be done! ;-)

> Still, I think
> you'd have more chance making one from wood than getting a simulator
> working that produces a recognisable organ sound :-)

Well, I suspect I'm doomed to fail either way, but hey! :-P

>> (One day I really must learn how to comprehend differential equations!)
>
> What bit don't you understand about the reaction/diffusion equations?
> There's nothing in there different to the wave equation.
>
> In each cell, U and V are the amount of each chemical.
>
> dU/dt = Du * L(U) - U*V^2 + F*(1 - U)
> dV/dt = Dv * L(V) + U*V^2 - (F + k)*V
>
> Du, Dv, k and F are constants.  L(x) is the Laplacian operator, which
> you know from the wave equation (2nd differential in each direction
> added together).
>
> So just calculate the right side of those equations, and that will tell
> you how much U and V should change.
>
> Seems simple enough to me to implement if you've done the wave equation.

The hard part is FINDING THIS EQUATION! >_<

I've found several sites about this stuff, but none of them present a
formula I can comprehend. Now that I have a working formula and I know
what all the variables are supposed to be, I stand a chance...