POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 : Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:20:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 24 Oct 2008 00:47:07
Message: <4901534b@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 20:21:23 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Real money comes from hardware sales, though; supporting (or allowing
>> others to write support for) more platforms = more product sales.
>
> Yes. That's why (for example) Sun gives away Java.

Yes, and I'm happier now that the JDK is mostly ported to openJDK - that
means 64-bit Java plugin for FF on Linux now.

> However, that doesn't hold true when the device drivers include much of
> the innovation in the hardware. As soon as you explain exactly how it
> works, someone else can rip off your design.  See, for example, "PC
> Clone".

True, but at the same time, that information being reverse-engineered by
Compaq really opened up the PC market; it also commoditized (or helped
commoditize) PC hardware and reduced the costs so most people could
afford one.  Or two.  Or ten. ;-)

Which in turn has moved PC sales from a low-volume high-margin sales
model to a low-margin high-volume sales model.  Seems to have worked out
fairly well for most PC manufacturers.

Eventually, clean room reverse-engineering would expose those internals
anyways, and arguably the type of process Compaq followed isn't something
IBM could have sued over - the guys developing the Compaq BIOS were
working entirely from specs drawn up by the guys who were looking at how
the BIOS worked.

Jim