POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 : Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:21:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 24 Oct 2008 00:42:50
Message: <4901524a$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 23:34:55 -0200, Nicolas Alvarez wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 18:15:04 -0200, nemesis wrote:
>>
>>> Hmm, playing dirty, huh?  Is it just the case of the 3D video cards or
>>> also other kinds of hardware?...
>>
>> Divio is one that I've had to deal with; they manufacture (or
>> manufactured) the CCD chip in some of the older Logitech Quickcams.  I
>> happen to own one of those.
>>
>> Divio refuses to open the spec, so the only Linux driver effort (which
>> is now dead, AFAIK) is a development of the 'nw802' and 'nw8xx' drivers
>> done entirely through reverse engineering using a USB sniffer.
>
> I read a blog about someone trying to reverse engineer the iPhone USB
> protocol with a USB sniffer. They figured out a few basic things, then
> noticed most of the interesting stuff was ENCRYPTED, and the project got
> into a halt.

Yeah, that's another one.  I also have limited ability to connect my
Blackberry to my Linux system - I can charge the battery, but that's
about it.  I know there are some apps that should let me back it up (like
with the BB desktop on Windows), but I've not worked through setting that
up yet.

The Divio chip reverse-engineering effort was nearly complete, I really
don't understand why the project ground to a halt.  The biggest issue I
had was the brightness control didn't work well - but I was actually able
to get a picture from it (and video).

Jim