POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 : Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:12:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40
From: Darren New
Date: 23 Oct 2008 23:24:16
Message: <49013fe0@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> Oh, that's not Grub, that's SYSLINUX - Grub is hard-disk only to the best
> of my knowledge.

OK. Whatever. Obviously it would have been a PITA to install Linux there
even if I could get it to boot.

>> Maybe. I don't have any trouble using Windows' bootloader to load GRUB.
>> You just have to set it up right. It's pretty trivial.
>
> Yup.  But it's not something that I've ever seen automated by the Linux
> installers.

No, because they can't write to NTFS partitions. So they can't modify
the Windows boot menu to accomidate Linux. So they clobber the Windows
boot sector with the GRUB boot sector.  Which, honestly, wouldn't be all
*that* awful, if they actually followed the rules for booting,which is
to say, boot the partition marked "active".  If they did that, you could
boot back and forth between Windows and Linux without being at the console.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)