POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 : Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:21:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 23 Oct 2008 16:01:04
Message: <4900d800$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 11:33:34 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> I've had at least two machines where GRUB wouldn't even load - probably
> the motherboard or something, which is actually something surprisingly
> difficult to find out about a computer you plan to buy already built.

I've seen this a couple of times myself - it's always (in my case
anyways) been a problem with the way Windows uses the MBR.  Some Linux
distros install GRUB to the partition rather than the MBR and that'll
cause problems if Windows is on the machine already - or if it's wiped
off but the MBR isn't touched.

Jim