POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 : Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:20:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40
From: nemesis
Date: 23 Oct 2008 15:27:27
Message: <4900d01f$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New escreveu:
> I'm pretty sure MS doesn't guarantee that every piece of hardware will
> work with every version of Windows. People just *expect* that. :-) One
> could take what you've said and read it as "Windows works so well in
> this aspect that people are surprised when it breaks, while Linux works
> so poorly in this aspect that most people already know they'll have to
> work around the brokenness."

Linux doesn't work poorly, its developers simply don't have the
resources to support all hardware by themselves.

Windows should support, because such hardware is made for them and come
with Windows drivers and even a seal of Windows compatibility... yeah,
the hardware manufacturers are to blame.

That's the difference between Windows and Linux:  one has to beg
manufacturers do their job right, the other actively works hard to make
unsupported hardware eventually working.

On the plus side, my Olympus digital camera connects just fine to Linux
without requiring the CD with the Windows driver...