POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 : Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 Server Time
10 Oct 2024 03:08:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40
From: Darren New
Date: 23 Oct 2008 15:14:09
Message: <4900cd01@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   I think there's a categorical difference here. Windows is *supposed* to
> support all PC hardware.

Oh, I understand, yeah. On the other hand, when Vista-64 comes out and
old hardware isn't supported, it shouldn't be all that surprising. :-)

> Windows has always "promised" to do that. When it doesn't, it's a ripoff.

Windows still relies on the third-party manufacturers to support their
devices. I remember back in the Win98 days that you had to make sure you
got a printer (for example) with the proper drivers.

One of the nice things about the Matrox video cards is they *do* release
new drivers for new OSes on cards they don't even make any more, and
they release drivers for older OSes on new cards.

> not like it's linux's fault (it's the fault of those hardware manufacturers).

Sure, but with a new version of Windows not supporting old hardware,
that's also the fault of the hardware manufacturers, and Microsoft also
publishes a list of what hardware works with their systems and what
doesn't, including software that runs on your old OS and tells you what
is compatible with your new OS and what you'd have to replace. Most
people ignore that list, is all, at least after the first few months. :-)

I'm pretty sure MS doesn't guarantee that every piece of hardware will
work with every version of Windows. People just *expect* that. :-) One
could take what you've said and read it as "Windows works so well in
this aspect that people are surprised when it breaks, while Linux works
so poorly in this aspect that most people already know they'll have to
work around the brokenness."

I just find it funny how often I see things where when Linux does
something, it's claimed a benefit, and when Windows does the same thing,
it's claimed a drawback. Technically, even, not just business-wise.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)