POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Say hello to my new wavetank... : Re: Say hello to my new wavetank... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:19:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Say hello to my new wavetank...
From: scott
Date: 22 Oct 2008 09:17:59
Message: <48ff2807@news.povray.org>
> Indeed. Although I'd actually prefer the waves to *not* reflect off the
> edges of the framebuffer... but I can't see a way to achieve that.

You kind of get that effect automatically by not bothering to calculate the
values around the border (ie clamping the border values to zero).  You can
see this IRL by fixing a string at one end, pulling the other end tight, and
then applying waves to the string - you will see them reflect off the far
end.

If you want to avoid reflections then what (I think - not tested!) you need
to do is calculate the points around the border of your simulation just like
the others.  Of course you cannot work out the derivatives the same way
because there are no further points out, but if you fix the derivative
outside to zero then that should work.

> Ooo, GPU? That's gotta be pretty fast...

I just checked, a 1024x1024 simulation runs at 240 fps ;-)

> Have you tried playing with the reaction/diffusion equations? That's also
> pretty fun... and yes, you have to see it in motion to truly appreciate
> it. ;-)

That was next on my list, but I never got around to it.  The Navier-Stokes
equations also look pretty cool for moving liquids (rather than waves).
Some people have done some nice smoke/liquid simulations that run on the
GPU:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4FY75GwA00