POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Say hello to my new wavetank... : Re: Say hello to my new wavetank... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:20:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Say hello to my new wavetank...
From: Invisible
Date: 22 Oct 2008 07:51:38
Message: <48ff13ca$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> Cool!  What language are you using, Haskell?

Well DUH! ;-)

> It's pretty cool how with
> the very simple wave equation you can get all the pretty circular
> ripples and reflections.

Indeed. Although I'd actually prefer the waves to *not* reflect off the
edges of the framebuffer... but I can't see a way to achieve that.

> I did have a version that did the calculations on the GPU a while back,
> I'll have to dig it out and put in on YouTube or something - still
> images just don't do the wave equation justice!

Ooo, GPU? That's gotta be pretty fast...

(My own implementation seems to spend far more time converting the
floating-point numbers into integers for display than it does actually
doing the integration... like, WTF?)

Have you tried playing with the reaction/diffusion equations? That's
also pretty fun... and yes, you have to see it in motion to truly
appreciate it. ;-)