POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Too many pipes? : Re: Too many pipes? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:23:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Too many pipes?
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 21 Oct 2008 15:42:18
Message: <48fe309a$1@news.povray.org>
>> Maddeningly, I've searched and searched the online version, but cannot
>> find any reference to this experiment. It definitely appears in the
>> paper copy I have though.
>
> Cool. I'll dig thru the index.

Chapter 8, "Implications for everyday systems", section title "Fluid
Flow", page 376 in my hardback copy.

He shows a cellular automaton consisting of a hexagonal grid. Each cell
may optionally contain a particle, which can have one of 6 possible
velocities. (Note that all particles have unit momentum. There is no
attempt to simulate varying particle speeds.)

When two neighboring cells both contain particles, a simple automaton
rule defines the new velocities for those particles. (Again, casually
glossing over a vast swathe of actual phenomina that occur with
molecular collisions. Here there is no vague attempt at Newton's laws of
motion, or even intuitive plausibility really.)

Viewed locally, all the particles dance around more or less at random.
However, if you average over a very large number of particles, you what
something looking suspiciously like fluid dynamics. Specifically,
Wolfram demonstrates that if all the particles have random initial
velocities, the overall net flow is zero. If a large minority of
particles all move in one direction, and there is an obsticle in the
way, you get trailing vorticies behind it. And if enough particles are
made to move the same way, you get real turbulence behind the obsticle.

All this from just individual particles interacting in a very
physically-incorrect manner. (OTOH, you have to average absurd numbers
of particles to get this, so it's very ineffient stuff!)

>> (As an aside, I found the book to be somewhat dissapointing. But there
>> were one or two very interesting things to be found. This was one of
>> them!)
>
> I thought a lot of it was pretty cool, and he did a good job of
> organizing it into "the part you read for fun" and "the part you read if
> you're actually going to do something technical with the results".
> (Unlike several other tomes of this sort I've read.) Altho, yeah, the
> hubris was rather astounding. :-)

It makes some valid points... it's just not very interesting to read.

> I trust you've read Godel-Escher-Bach?

Never heard of it.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/