POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Too many pipes? : Re: Too many pipes? Server Time
10 Oct 2024 03:09:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Too many pipes?
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 21 Oct 2008 13:22:30
Message: <48fe0fd6$1@news.povray.org>
>> Actually... it's possibly not directly related, but Wolfram showed a
>> trivially simple cellular automaton which has no sophisticated
>> properties encoded into it, and isn't even an accurate simulation of
>> any physical system, and yet exhibits the same characteristics as a
>> flowing liquid. (Most particularly, it has both laminar and turbulent
>> flow.)
>
> Cool. Where did you see this?   I couldn't track down anything obvious
> with Google, due to conflicting hits.

Wolfram's "A New Kind of Science".

Maddeningly, I've searched and searched the online version, but cannot
find any reference to this experiment. It definitely appears in the
paper copy I have though.

(As an aside, I found the book to be somewhat dissapointing. But there
were one or two very interesting things to be found. This was one of them!)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/