POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Very long post : Re: Very long post Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:13:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Very long post
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Oct 2008 11:42:47
Message: <48fdf877@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   It often may result in faster binaries. OTOH there are some huge projects
> where compilation times are counted in hours rather than seconds, where
> significantly slower compilation times might become an issue.

I remember reading of an Ada project where the customer was complaining
the vendor's compiler was too slow. The vendor looked at the code,
basically said "WTF mate?" and pointed out that using packages nested
dozens of levels deep (the equivalent of templates referring to
templates recursively dozens of times) are going to be slow to compile,
and they asked the customer why they picked that technique. The customer
pointed out that it was in the vendor's sample files. The vendor pointed
out that *that* sample file was a compiler stress-test designed to
validate the compiler doesn't choke even under awful programming
practices. :-)

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)