POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Reserved words redux : Re: Reserved words redux Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:19:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reserved words redux
From: nemesis
Date: 17 Oct 2008 23:27:09
Message: <48f9578d@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:
> "nemesis" <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
>
>> That would utterly suck.  Programming languages should be about meaning
>> and meaning is conveyed by words, not by how they are drawn or spelled.
>
> Meaning is conveyed by anything that is meant to convey meaning, be it
> words, grunts, connections between gears, flowcharts, hearldry symbols,
> colours... etc.

You know?  That's very true.  And I can even imagine a tokenizer to a
compiler accepting italicized words to be different from non-italicized
words if it was to internally apply some transform like:

*Foo* /foo/;

bold_foo -> italic_foo ->

etc.

To me, it just sucks, though.  It means, when I'm writing a program I
have now to think not only of good identifier names, but also of
correctly applying the right styling, besides also capitalization.

> Pictorial representations will eventually assume a more
> prominant role in general programming.

Sure, UML and company have been around for quite some time already.  And
it all eventually gets converted to a stream of text in some language
anyway, and that to a stream of bytes in machine language, so hey!,
perhaps it's time we communicate using just jpgs and emoticons as well... :P

I for one find some things much easier to write about than to drag
balloons, boxes and arrows around and apply meaning by combos,
radiobuttons and so on, besides messing with a UI looking like that of a
top aircraft...

BTW, perhaps you'd be interested in this nutjob and his take on the
future of computers and programming:
http://rebelscience.blogspot.com/2008/09/cosa-new-kind-of-programming-part-i.html

I still find much simpler writing a textual while loop though... :P