POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Reserved words redux : Re: Reserved words redux Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:21:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reserved words redux
From: nemesis
Date: 17 Oct 2008 23:10:57
Message: <48f953c1$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> nemesis wrote:
>> That would utterly suck.  Programming languages should be about
>> meaning and meaning is conveyed by words, not by how they are drawn or
>> spelled.
>
> Meaning isn't conveyed by words in programming languages. It's conveyed
> by tokens and formal matches between tokens at different parts of the
> source.
>
> { int index = 23;
>   cout << index;
> }
>
> The meaning there isn't conveyed by "int". In chinese, you might use
> something different than "int" (maybe 整數 or something) and it would be
> just as meaningful if not moreso to a native chinese speaker (assuming
> you fixed the compiler, of course).  The compiler doesn't care what
> token you use to mean what Warp means by "int" in his code.

Fine.  整數 is still a word with a meaning associated, which is my
point:  words should convey meaning, not how 整數 is written or spelled.

I mean, surely 整數 can be written in italics or bold without altering
its meaning.  And no, I'm not a fan of case-sensitive syntax either.

>> Let external tools do any styling to the source text if you will.
>
> OK, so reserved words are in greek, and user-defined words are in latin
> characters, no matter what fonts you use. Better?

Yes.  You may use whatever font you please, as long as it's Unicode and
can correctly display the greek and latin words in the text or else the
meaning is lost.  This is not the same as styling with bold or italics,
nor as capitalizing words.