POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Teh intertubes : Re: Teh intertubes Server Time
10 Oct 2024 03:19:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Teh intertubes
From: scott
Date: 17 Oct 2008 05:06:57
Message: <48f855b1$1@news.povray.org>
> If I ever come across one, I'll let you know. ;-)
>
> Basically I've never seen a video on the Internet that doesn't look
> horribly mutilated. (Presumably due to the bandwidth constrains it has to
> fit through...) DVDs, on the other hand, almost always look just fine.

DVDs have a bandwidth of around 10 Mbit/s, but they use an old compression
technology.  Using modern codecs on faster processors you can get higher
quality than DVD through 2-5 Mbit/s bandwidth.  A friend of mine watches NFL
football over the net, in HD quality, at 2mbit/s.  The quality is awesome (I
plugged my laptop into the TV), way better than any normal TV feed or DVD.
I was quite surprised how the quality was that good at such a low bitrate -
but it was using almost 100% of one of my CPUs continuously!