POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Teh intertubes : Re: Teh intertubes Server Time
10 Oct 2024 03:17:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Teh intertubes
From: Invisible
Date: 17 Oct 2008 04:16:37
Message: <48f849e5$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> I don't have any way of generating DivX or Xvid.
>
> Lots of freeware tools can make it.  One GUI tool that I find
> particularly easy to use is Xvid4PSP, lots of presets so no need to
> fiddle about with command line options if you don't want to.

At one point I had an encoder for either DivX or Xvid, I can't remember
which one. It seemingly had 30,000 options, and none of them seemed to
improve the image quality...

>> Since my camcorder records onto 8cm DVDs which are reputedly playable
>> on a normal DVD player, I'm presuming it generates MPEG-2. (I'm not
>> sure how to actually get that off the disk though.)
>
> There are much better compression algorithms (ie way lower bitrate for
> same quality) than the DVD-standard available.  Read the instructions,
> I'm sure it will tell you how to get the video on to your computer.

I'll believe it when I see it. So far DVD is the only compressed video
I've ever seen that doesn't look visibly mutilated by the compression
process.

(E.g., if I take some POV-Ray video data and compress it - using every
codec I could find an encoder for - it always looks awful. If I ask my
DVD maker program to make a DVD out of it, it looks reasonably good.
[Although never as good as a commercial DVD - don't ask me why.])