POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Blah : Re: Blah Server Time
10 Oct 2024 03:15:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blah
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 17 Oct 2008 00:13:29
Message: <48f810e9$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 09:36:33 -0400, Warp wrote:
>
>>   I think that the idea is that checking random people acts as a
>>   deterrent.
>>
>>   If you have something illegal, the random search could happen to you.
>> Are you willing to take the risk?
>
> The thing is, the stated intent of doing this is as part of watching for
> terrorists.
>
> But if they're planning on dying anyways, it matters not a lot if they
> get caught - if they send enough people through, *someone* will succeed.

	I'd question the assumptions there. That it hasn't happened implies
either there is virtually no threat, or that they actually *do* care not
to get caught. I'm leaning towards the latter. The belief that they
don't value life, I suspect, is mostly TV drama (what Bruce Scheiner
(sp?) calls security theater).

	Besides, even if they didn't care about living, people aren't cheap,
you know.

--
Race track: The place where windows clean people.

                    /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                    anl