POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Adding inside_vector (for CSG) to HF macros in shapes.inc : Re: Adding inside_vector (for CSG) to HF macros in shapes.inc Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:20:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Adding inside_vector (for CSG) to HF macros in shapes.inc
From: Warp
Date: 16 Oct 2008 19:21:04
Message: <48f7cc60@news.povray.org>
Zeger Knaepen <zeg### [at] povplacecom> wrote:
> you're saying there's no default-value for inside_vector?

  That's correct.

> hmm, indeed, without inside_vector, POV-Ray doesn't seem to even try to
> check if a point is inside the mesh... why not?

  I don't know why inside_vector is not always on by default. Maybe
rendering the mesh becomes slower in certain situations if it has an
inside_vector defined? (Although, I must admit, I don't know which
situations would those be.)

  One reason could be backwards compatibility: Meshes have always been
patch objects with no inside, and thus they do not affect things like
fog or surrounding media. Making them always have an inside_vector would
probably change this behavior. At the very least there should be a way
to turn it off.

  Maybe someone could measure the rendering speed of diverse meshes with
and without an inside_vector defined in different situations and see if
it makes a difference.

--
                                                          - Warp