POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Metric redux : Re: Metric redux Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:12:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Metric redux
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 16 Oct 2008 15:02:53
Message: <48f78fdd@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 21:25:30 +0100, Bill Pragnell wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 19:25:01 +0100, Bill Pragnell wrote:
>>
>>> Haha, not a hope, we're the most thoroughly nay exhaustively
>>> signposted country in the world.
>>
>> Hey, now *that's* certainly true.  I didn't need a GPS to get where I
>> was going, and printed directions were no use to us - just knowing the
>> signs to look for got us around better than anything. :-)
>
> I don't use them either, although that's partly because most models are
> still more expensive than my car(!). But you're right, the signs aren't
> just numerous, they're incredibly helpful, especially the way road
> numbers are specified. :-)

Yeah - the first couple times out I printed directions from
maps.google.co.uk and got hopelessly lost.  I learned quickly that if I
took those directions and just identified the next marker I needed to
look for, it was a LOT easier to get around.

It is fairly counterintuitive to me that a map is a hinderance, but I
can't argue with the results. ;-)

Jim