POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Surface from XYZ data : Re: Surface from XYZ data Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:23:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Surface from XYZ data
From: Chris B
Date: 15 Oct 2008 11:26:32
Message: <48f60ba8$1@news.povray.org>
"Dan Connelly" <djc### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
> Chris B wrote:
>
>> The example pasted in below my signature illustrates one approach that
>> you could quite easily use. I transformed your data into POV-Ray arrays,
>> then used those arrays to build a POV-Ray mesh2 object.
>
> Couldn't one also use bicupic patches to attain smoothness?  I've not had
> luck with them yet.  If I get time, I'll put together an example of where
> I have had trouble.

I might be wrong (I've never used bicubic patches), but the documentation
says that POV-Ray supports Bezier patches which, I think, means that you'd
have to calculate a large number of Bezier control points that don't sit on
the original curved surface. I'd guess that this would be quite tricky.

Regards,
Chris B.