POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Blah : Re: Blah Server Time
10 Oct 2024 05:20:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blah
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 14 Oct 2008 15:03:14
Message: <48f4ecf2$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 14:30:01 +0200, scott wrote:

> Privacy is not being lifted from everyone, just people like Tim where
> the police had a reasonable reason for wanting to check what was on his
> PC. Imagine the public outcry if (sorry Tim!) the police couldn't check
> Tim's PC because of privacy laws, but then Tim went on to do worse
> things, and it came out later on during a trial that the police
> suspected Tim was involved but couldn't do anything about it.

Here in the US we have a phrase for that - "Probable Cause" (I sometimes
hear it as "Reasonable Probable Cause").  If the police suspect Tim is
involved in something illegal and that suspicion is reasonable (not just
"Hey, he looks evil, I'd better have a look"), then they are entitled.

Checking random laptops at the border is not reasonable probable cause,
it's hoping they get lucky.  Big difference.

Jim