POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Blah : Re: Blah Server Time
10 Oct 2024 05:22:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blah
From: scott
Date: 14 Oct 2008 08:30:01
Message: <48f490c9$1@news.povray.org>
>  Sure, sometimes the right to privacy may be abused to hide illegal
> material
> (eg. child porn or terrorist plans), but I still don't think that privacy
> should be lifted from everybody simply because a few individuals abuse it
> to hide illegal material.

Privacy is not being lifted from everyone, just people like Tim where the
police had a reasonable reason for wanting to check what was on his PC.
Imagine the public outcry if (sorry Tim!) the police couldn't check Tim's PC
because of privacy laws, but then Tim went on to do worse things, and it
came out later on during a trial that the police suspected Tim was involved
but couldn't do anything about it.

A bit like the outcry here when it was revealed that Fritzl had already been
in prison for raping a young woman, and yet he was allowed to adopt children
with no extra checks, purely because his records had been deleted due to
"privacy" laws.

It's not always the case that more privacy is better for society as a whole.