POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Research : Re: Research Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:20:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Research
From: scott
Date: 14 Oct 2008 05:05:48
Message: <48f460ec$1@news.povray.org>
>> Nope. As the Wikipedia article explains, there are sprung-loaded plastic
>> covers that only move out of the way as the earth pin is inserted.
>
>  Is it guaranteed that the difference in potential between the earth pin
> and the physical ground is always very close to zero?

The Earth wires in your house (in the UK at least) are connected to the
physical ground at your house, usually by being connected to the mains water
pipe or some similar big lump of metal in the ground.  So I don't think
there can be much of a difference, there is probably some building standard
that gives limits on the resistance.  I assume these limits are set so that
any potentially dangerous Earth voltage would result in the current in the
defective device blowing a fuse.