POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Light source reflections - help! : Re: Light source reflections - help! Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:24:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Light source reflections - help!
From: Alain
Date: 13 Oct 2008 19:35:42
Message: <48f3db4e$1@news.povray.org>
pleriche nous illumina en ce 2008-10-13 08:04 -->
> I have a scene containing various metal pipes, which I want to make into an
> animation by moving the camera around the scene. (See
> http://www.blueskylark.org/anim/cross4.wmv ) I have a couple of spotlights
> which cast nice shadows, but I also want to model the reflections of the lights
> on the shiny pipes ( texture { pigment { P_Brass4 } finish { F_MetalD  } } ),
> which should give bright spots moving along the pipes as the points at which
> the angles of incidence and reflection change.
>
> A light source, being invisible, doesn't show up as a reflection. I then thought
> of phong, but even phong 1 doesn't produce a noticeable effect, perhaps because
> of the small diameter of the pipes. I then tried putting white disks behind the
> spotlights, with additional very bright spotlights shining just on the disks.
> This produced the required effect, but from some angles, the disks themselves
> are visible, which I don't want.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Regards - Philip

I like the way it loops.

With phong, use a smaller value for phong_size to make the highlight broader.
If, instead, you use specular, a larger roughness value will broaden the highlight.

Instead of using additional spots to illuminate your disks, give them a high
ambient value, like ambient 10 or more.
You can replace those disks with spheres located around the lights with the
looks_like feature. In fact, you can model the whole spotlights that way if you
want to.

Adding "no_image" render an object invisible by direct view, but visible in
reflections.

--
Alain
If at first you don’t succeed, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool