POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Blah : Re: Blah Server Time
10 Oct 2024 07:22:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blah
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 13 Oct 2008 17:45:29
Message: <48f3c179$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Mueen Nawaz wrote:
>>     Fifth Amendment only works if you're being investigated. If, however,
>> they're searching your computer for evidence about someone else's crime,
>> I don't think you can plead the Fifth.
>
> I am not a lawyer, but I believe this is not accurate. I remember
> someone's secretary pleading the fifth when asked about her boss' stuff
> and getting away with it.
>
> The trick is, they can't really pursue *why* you are pleading the fifth,
> if you follow the logic.

	I don't know it with any less uncertainty as you. Yes, I know you could
do that, but of course the actual fifth amendment is to protect yourself
from incriminating yourself. The DA could offer immunity, and then you
have to comply.

>> In the US, however, I believe you
>> don't have to hand over the password regardless.
>
> Actually, the case is new enough that I didn't find any appeals that
> would make it actual precedent, so I suspect it's still up in the air.

	It's happened once or twice in the US.

	http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/12/15/1459243

	Actually, that was a Fifth Amendment case. Maybe I was wrong...

	This one's about the UK (although I've heard this a number of times
over the years):

	http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/10/02/1237215

--
"I think not," said Descartes, and promptly disappeared.

                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl