POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Research : Re: Research Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:21:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Research
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 13 Oct 2008 13:37:05
Message: <48f38741@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> Hmm. It's like natural selection, but backwards: the kids who get bored
> quickly enough don't figure out how to do it and survive to reproduce! :-D

That explains a lot, actually ... :)

>> So, can't a kid stick something metallic in a British design socket?
>
> Nope. As the Wikipedia article explains, there are sprung-loaded plastic
> covers that only move out of the way as the earth pin is inserted.

Sounds similar to what we have installed over our plugs. Essentially,
you have to slid the cover over as you plug something in. The drawback
is if you have older plugs that don't hold firmly, the plugged-in device
will slip out.

> So you'd actually need *two* pointy things - one to poke the earth
> socket, and another metallic object to insert into the live socket. Oh,
> and some coordination. I'm sure if you try hard enough you can kill
> yourself, but seriously... ;-)

Ah, so only the most determined toddlers with a good bit of hand-eye
coordination, and manual dexterity will be successful.

--
~Mike