POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Blah : Re: Blah Server Time
10 Oct 2024 05:22:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blah
From: Darren New
Date: 13 Oct 2008 12:14:04
Message: <48f373cc$1@news.povray.org>
Mueen Nawaz wrote:
> 	Fifth Amendment only works if you're being investigated. If, however,
> they're searching your computer for evidence about someone else's crime,
> I don't think you can plead the Fifth.

I am not a lawyer, but I believe this is not accurate. I remember
someone's secretary pleading the fifth when asked about her boss' stuff
and getting away with it.

The trick is, they can't really pursue *why* you are pleading the fifth,
if you follow the logic.

> In the US, however, I believe you
> don't have to hand over the password regardless.

Actually, the case is new enough that I didn't find any appeals that
would make it actual precedent, so I suspect it's still up in the air.

> 	If Tim is in the UK (sorry, I don't follow your lives that closely<G>),
> then the law does have the right to force him to hand over the password.

Yeah. Sucks, that.  Kind of the reason we have that part of the
constitution. :-)

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)