POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Research : Re: Research Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:12:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Research
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 13 Oct 2008 12:13:37
Message: <48f373b1$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> Not something you think about every day - until you realise that less
> civilised countries just use a plain metal stick so it's frighteningly
> easy to pull out of the wall, plug in backwards, electrocute yourself
> with by touching the pins while inserting/removing, insert random
> objects into the socket, etc.

Heh, that's not a jab at the U.S. style plugs, is it? Our wall sockets
are just the right size for a determined toddler armed with only a
screwdriver to, err, well ... That's why we invented any number of
different solutions to prevent determined toddlers armed with
screwdrivers from sticking the end of the screwdriver in the appropriate
slot and causing a simultaneous power and life failure. :)

So, can't a kid stick something metallic in a British design socket?

> I guess it's like you don't realise how stringent UK health and safety
> rules are until you see some pictures on the TV of workers in some
> random country using blowtorches and angle grinders without any safety
> equipment at all...

I remember on a cruise to Mexico, they were working on fixing the pier,
they had run out to their power tools, above the salty water, what
looked like a pair of wires, twisted together at some points to extend
it. OSHA would have had a field day with their utter lack of regard for
basic electrical safety.

--
~Mike