POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Blah : Re: Blah Server Time
10 Oct 2024 05:19:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blah
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 13 Oct 2008 11:32:17
Message: <48f36a01$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Tim Cook <z99### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>>> Isn't that what encryption is for?
>
>> No, encryption is that big red flag that says you've got something to hide.
>
>   Well, there are rather ingenuous encrypting programs out there, such as
> TrueCrypt.
>
>   It's completely impossible to see from a TrueCrypt-encrypted file that
> it's an encrypted file. It just looks like random data and it's completely

	Well, perhaps if you're just looking at that file. If you're on Linux,
one often just has to look at your history file to see if you use the
truecrypt command.

	Or they could look to see if you have truecrypt installed.

	Or they could look to see if you have unmounted truecrypt directories.
I tried it and at least on my computer, truecrypt doesn't automatically
delete those directories.

	I think under certain circumstances, truecrypt leaves stuff around in
the /tmp folder.

	As for hidden partition, I don't know the details. I believe an
analysis was done and they only guaranteed true hiddenness if you used
FAT as the filesystem of the hidden partition. More precisely, it was
shown that if you use ext3, there will likely be data elsewhere on the
HD that will hint that there is a hidden partition somewhere.

	There are other analyses. Let's say you make your "outer" TC partition
30 GB. And inside it you make your hidden partition 10 GB. I read
somewhere that TC makes that 10 GB block contiguous. So when you give
the password to your outer TC, if they look they'll see that your data
(if you have enough of it), will be all over that 30 GB except for this
big block of 10 GB which has random data (which, to the FS, appears to
be free space). Now you could say that you just deleted a 10 GB file,
explaining that big unused contiguous block, but...

--
"Maybe the universe IS fuzzy." --- Hubble Telescope Scientist

                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl