POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Blah : Re: Blah Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:22:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blah
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 13 Oct 2008 11:23:19
Message: <48f367e7$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Tim Cook wrote:
>> Actually I'm pretty sure refusing to give them my passwords would've
>> gotten me arrested in itself.  Refusing to cooperate and all that.
>
> Probably not in the USA. Welcome to the Fifth Amendment.  You gave them
> the data. You don't have to help them read it.

	Yes, not in the US. I believe this has been tested in court. (Well, as
you pointed out, he could get arrested, but they can't charge him with
anything).

	Fifth Amendment only works if you're being investigated. If, however,
they're searching your computer for evidence about someone else's crime,
I don't think you can plead the Fifth. In the US, however, I believe you
don't have to hand over the password regardless.

	If Tim is in the UK (sorry, I don't follow your lives that closely<G>),
then the law does have the right to force him to hand over the password.

--
"Maybe the universe IS fuzzy." --- Hubble Telescope Scientist

                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl