POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Blah : Re: Blah Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:23:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blah
From: Tim Cook
Date: 12 Oct 2008 23:00:52
Message: <48f2b9e4@news.povray.org>
news:48f29c16$1@news.povray.org...
> Um, isn't that what backups are for?

No, the warrant said 'all data storage media'.  For some reason they left
what anime I'd backed up to DVD, and a spindle of various TV shows the guy I
was renting from had burned...even though they took a bunch of other stuff
that was irrelevant to their search.  If they were serious about it they
should've taken all the DVDs, instead of assuming that what was on them was
what they were labelled (though it defeats the purpose of being organized to
intentionally put things where they don't belong to hide them).

As far as backups...that's what the one hard drive I had was for.  They took
that too.  I've taken to uploading my re-started financial records
spreadsheet to my web space...the warrany only said data storage media at
these premises.  So I suppose it would've been a good idea to get one of
those off-site backup services.  They didn't even ask about *that*.  heh heh
heh

> Isn't that what encryption is for?

No, encryption is that big red flag that says you've got something to hide.
I do not, will not encrypt any of my data.  Most I'll do is password-protect
my list-of-passwords spreadsheet.

> It's OK as long as you keep it general: "I like children."
> It's when you get specific that you get in trouble: "I like 12-year olds."

Except I hate kids.  And most adults, for that matter.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net