POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Anybody know of a good antivirus program? : Re: Anybody know of a good antivirus program? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:20:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Anybody know of a good antivirus program?
From: stbenge
Date: 12 Oct 2008 17:09:23
Message: <48f26783@news.povray.org>
Jim Holsenback wrote:
> "Orchid XP v8" <voi### [at] devnull> wrote in message
> Here's a meta-question: what makes you think you're infected?
>
> Wondering if that loosely describes
> Sam's notion that his system has become infected.

Ok, here's story. Yesterday I was looking up news about Nigeria. I want
to stay updated on things over there. I found a website detailing many
oil news stories from the Delta region. Suddenly a pop-up dialog asks me
a question. For some reason, in my haste, I said "ok" to it. I don't
know why I did this, I usually have FireFox ask me about cookies, and I
usually never say yes. Well, right after I accepted whatever the hell it
was, I got a bad feeling about it. Then another one came up--and I swear
I wasn't seeing things--it had the word trojan in it (I didn't answer
yes to that one). So of course I'm panicking by this time, and proceed
to disconnect myself from the 'net. I'm running XP here so I went to the
task bar and tried to open up Task Manager, to see what's running. It
was grayed out. So I reboot my computer and check for TM. Still grayed
out! I go to open in manually, and it says an administrator had disabled
it. Well, I'm the administrator here! I find a website telling me how to
enable it again, and succeed there. But then, without warning of any
kind, my computer shuts itself off! "Windows is saving your settngs..."
I turned it back on and restore my system to what it was on the 9th. No
problem for the rest of yesterday, until I was playing games, switching
between full-screen mode and my desktop. The desktop image went away,
and the icons were are transparent with tiny arrows indicating that they
are shortcuts. The text was still there. I thought maybe it was because
I was stressing out the way Windows handles the desktop, switching
between resolutions like that. Well, today everything seems fine, except
that the icons representing folders now have that generic
corner-curled-page thing with window graphic. Nothing else seems amiss,
only these odd icons.

I'll have to try Stinger first, and then download a larger AV app when I
have time. I wish the AV programs were smaller, since I am on a very
slow dial connection here.

Sam