POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Have I missed something? : Re: Have I missed something? Server Time
9 Oct 2024 22:23:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Have I missed something?
From: nemesis
Date: 10 Oct 2008 21:29:57
Message: <48f00195$1@news.povray.org>
Kyle wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 18:28:34 -0300, nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>
>> Don't get me wrong, I don't like Microsoft nor .NET.
>
> Not trying to start a Microsoft bashing thread here, but I'm curious, why do you not
like Microsoft
> nor .NET?

Microsoft raped me when I was younger and I resent it.

Seriously, I just don't dig monopolies and so I just don't buy their
products.  Besides the fact they are cheap bastards always preying on
someone else's idea and taking the advantage of their monopoly to make
it spread like fire, like .NET.  The fact that most of their products
suck is a close second reason.

hey, I'm just answering the guy, ok?

But enough Microsoft bashing, they certainly may have some redeeming
qualities.  Here's one recent idea from their research labs I found
genuinely mindblowing:
http://www.codeplex.com/touchless

Watch the video link.  It's simply an amazingly creative use of current
cheap hardware to yield wonderful possibilities!  Why wait for Surface
and other possibly expensive touchscreen-related techs to become a
reality in the near-future when you can have pretty much a large part of
the functionality today for free, using nothing more than an ordinary
webcam?

They even released it as an open-source framework and demo, under the
Microsoft Public License.  If you have Windows and a webcam, try it now!