POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : [Plug] It's finally here! : Re: [Plug] It's finally here! Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:20:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [Plug] It's finally here!
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 10 Oct 2008 15:22:57
Message: <48efab91$1@news.povray.org>

http://arcanux.org/lambdacats/gentle-intro.jpg

> OTOH, how can you possibly tell people about benefits of a functional
> language without mentioning recursion and tail-recursion?  How to tell
> what's so great about Haskell's type system without showing what it's
> all about?
>
> They could just give short code examples of how to achieve practical
> stuff, but how would they explaing the code without some theoretical
> background about such issues and differences to imperative programming
> with outdated type systems?
>
> It's not easy at all to try and write such book...

Indeed. I've sat down to write a tutorial myself several times. It
always seems to degenerate into "oh, wait, I can't use that as an
example because it requires this *other* feature that I didn't meantion
yet..."

As I say, Haskell's features are pretty simple, but there's about half a
dozen of them, and they're all inter-related. It makes it really
difficult to figure out where to start.

I don't know if you read it, but I really did think Chapter 1 started
rather well. It's just that Chapter 2 seemed to skip randomly from topic
to topic in an incoherant way.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/