POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Can I set KFF from inside my scene? : Re: Can I set KFF from inside my scene? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:16:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can I set KFF from inside my scene?
From: John VanSickle
Date: 10 Oct 2008 08:21:52
Message: <48ef48e0$1@news.povray.org>
Mathuin wrote:
> While designing my animation, I came across two snags, both of which could be
> easily fixed if I could set KFF from within my scene file.
>
> The animation is pretty simple:  it travels from point to point through the
> scene, looking at attractions from different perspectives.  The first snag is
> that I would like the number of frames to scale with the number of objects --
> half as many attractions means twice as many frames per attraction which means
> the animation runs twice as "slow".  The second snag is that the set of frames
> allocated to each attraction counts both moving to the attraction and looking
> at it but the last "attraction" is an overhead view so I only need half as many
> frames to get the desired effect.  Being able to set KFF to something like
> (dimension_size(Attractions,1)-0.5)*FramesPerAttraction would allow me to focus
> on creating attractions and not on tweaking command-line settings.
>
> I recognize that this sort of feature could lead to total chaos, so if there's
> another way to solve this from inside the scene, I'm all ears.  Thanks!

Simply calculate a new variable, named it Clock, and use it in place of
the clock variable.

#declare Clock=some_constantly_rising_expression_using_clock;

For some sections, Clock will rise as quickly as clock, but you can
smoothly transition to something rising half as quickly for the slower
parts.

If d*Clock/d*clock is ever negative (that is, the calculated value is
going down at any point), then time will appear to flow backwards in
your animation.

Regards,
John