POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : So linux actually costs $40 : Re: So linux actually costs $40 Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:11:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: So linux actually costs $40
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 9 Oct 2008 12:04:43
Message: <48ee2b9b$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 12:39:45 -0400, gregjohn wrote:

> Ubuntu 8.10 (alpha) gives you an on-screen notification about its
> activation proprietary drivers for graphics AND wifi drivers that it's
> already decided to use. The purist is free at that point to leave the
> room if need be.  *That* I believe is the best approach.

Only if including proprietary code (in contravention with the
manufacturer's wishes AIUI - and thus in violation of copyright) is OK in
your book.

> The removal of ath_pci is precisely the reason I left openSUSE for my
> hobby use.

11.0 includes ath5k, which actually (at least for me) worked much better
than the proprietary ath_pci (madwifi) stuff.  Madwifi was always flaky
for me.

>  Somehow it was more annoying because I loved SUSE so much I had decided
>  to pay
> for 10.1 CD's as soon as they were available.  It was such a bummer not
> to be able to use the internet.

Have you looked at 11.0?

Jim