POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : So linux actually costs $40 : Re: So linux actually costs $40 Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:20:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: So linux actually costs $40
From: Warp
Date: 8 Oct 2008 03:52:47
Message: <48ec66cf@news.povray.org>
> On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 21:41:27 -0400, gregjohn wrote:

> >  If someone told me linux costs $40, I'd have jumped for it.

> Linux doesn't cost $40.  Access to the proprietary media formats is what
> costs.

  Actually nothing would stop me from making a linux distro and start
selling it for $1000 per piece if I want. It's completely legal and
conforms to the GPL license.

  (Of course expecting anyone to actually buy it is a bit hopeless given
that I must distribute the sources on demand.)

  Some people are willing to pay some money for a complete solution
nicely packed eg. on a DVD disk, even if that solution would contain
nothing but free software. There's nothing wrong with that, and the GPL
license certainly doesn't forbid that.

--
                                                          - Warp