POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : So linux actually costs $40 : Re: So linux actually costs $40 Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:18:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: So linux actually costs $40
From: nemesis
Date: 7 Oct 2008 23:04:02
Message: <48ec2322$1@news.povray.org>

http://shop.canonical.com/product_info.php?products_id=244&osCsid=8744725ba585c862dcded69ac929b6a8

> In setting up linux on my home PC's, I spent many nights in anguish over this
> issue.  If someone told me linux costs $40, I'd have jumped for it.

That's not Ubunu, that's a CD packed with proprietary multimedia codecs
for Ubuntu.  The 2 reasons I could see for someone buying it is if they
wish to somehow thank Canonical for the great distro or if they don't
have internet access to fetch the mplayer or xine packages in the Ubuntu
repositories.